Skip to main content

Registering a used car (that I just bought from RI) in Massachusetts-- but I only have the Bill of Sale...

Taunton, MA |

I bought a 1997 Dodge van from a family friend in Rhode Island. In RI, it is legal to sell a car of that age with only the bill of sale (no title/registration papers). However, in MA, one would usually require a title and registration papers as well, in order to register the car.

Since it is from out of state, will an exception be made? Can I register with just the bill of sale? Or do I need to have the previous owner file for a new title and such before I can register it here?

+ Read More

Filed under: Used cars Vehicle title
Attorney answers 1


You definitely need a title in order to register the vehicle in Mass. I am guessing that Registry of Motor Vehicles can tell you who should make the application for duplicate title. The RMV gets a bad rap, but between local offices, telephone, and web site, they answer most questions promptly.

Disclaimer: exchange of information on this site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer