Skip to main content

Registered to vote as LPR. Do I meet the standards for the 3 exception conditions during naturalization processes?

Chicago, IL |

-I was 13 years old when I moved to the U.S. as LPR in 1998, and traveled outside
of the U.S. a few times, however the duration of my visits to other countries never passed 3 weeks.
-After confirming with the office of elections committee, I registered to vote by filling out the form at a volunteer a registrar group (mostly schools) on April 14th of 2004, but both of my parents became citizens in Nov. 30th 2004.
-I was 19 years old, and was attending a community college. Leaving class on that day, a former classmate stopped me in the hallway, and asked me to fill out the voter registration form so he could get extra-credit for class. I knew the law that prevented LPRs in voting. But he assured me that LPR can register to vote, as long as never actually voting in an election.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I don't believe so. You need to prove you believed you were a US citizen.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Seek to speak to an immigration lawyer in private.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This is a tough situation, but you might be able to naturalize. I agree with the other poster who recommends an attorney - so much depends on what you thought, believed, what you were told, and who told it to you. The basic facts you've submitted make me believe you can still move forward, but it'll be tricky and a good attorney will help you present your case in the best way possible. Good luck!

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Not on the facts you give.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer