Skip to main content

Regarding realestate contract

Albrightsville, PA |

I am under contract to buy a home in the state of Pennsylvania, at the time when the seller and I signed the contract the condition of the home was checked in every aspect where the seller have to note every damages. The seller checked that they were no damages to the property as far as they’re concern, after I proceeded and ordered an inspection, we have found almost $20,000 worth of damages, where the home was purposely damage, septic pump was pulled off the ground, sump pump was damage, stove full of trash bathroom and tiles coming off, because the property is being rent, there is a tenant present, be advise home is a short sale as to my knowledge it should not be rented, I have offered a lower price than the listing price, after inspection I have sent a letter to bank to lower the price again or assist with damages, since legally we have a contract where seller stated there were no damages while a tenant was present, the bank now ask me in order to lower the price they want me to submit another offer to add a “clause” that the home will remain in the market if someone offer an higher offer they can sell it or if not they can give it to me at the price I ask for, which to me sounds stupid. Now can they do that under the law and also since I have an active contract with them what action can I take legally, I would prefer attorney from Pennsylvania to respond since they know the law

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your existing contract determines the rights you would have in these circumstances. If, as you represent, the seller has broken the contract by allowing a tenant to remain in the property and cause damages, you should look to your contract terms to determine how you could enforce your part of the bargain.

Your best bet would be to take your contract to an attorney in your area who is familiar with rental property real estate transactions (I'm assuming from your description that this is what you are purchasing). Check online for your county's lawyer referral service, or go to the Pennsylvania Bar Association website at to find the closest agency to you.

Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck!

If you feel this answer has been helpful, please consider checking the "good answer" box below.



thank you so much, well said


I agree with Attorney Taminini, who is a regular contributor to the Avvo forum.

Consult with an attorney.

Good luck,
PS: Please mark this as a best answer if it is most helpful to you.

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107,, (267) 519-2719, LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Pursuant to the requirements of U.S. Treasury Regulation Circular 230, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used to avoid penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to another person any tax-related matter.