Skip to main content

Regarding Internship for international Student in US

Des Plaines, IL |

My cousin has done MBA from India, i want him to do internship in US, Which visa will be suitable for him, How can i sponsor him? Pls guide

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


J1 is the appropriate visa. You need to have a training program set up.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Either a J-1 or a much harder to obtain H-3.

For the J-1one category you need a sponsoring organization, as well as a general training plan.

For an H-3 you don't need a sponsoring organization, but will need to present USCIS with an extensive, detailed training schedule,etc.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. He needs to identify a U.S. employer or J-1 program to apply for.


I agree, J is easier than H.

Go here for a list of qualified programs:

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


First, you need to see if your business qualifies as a sponsor.
Second, you need a sponsoring organization that is the umbrella company for the J-1
Third, you must be mindful not to deplace a worker, or have your cousin or whoever to actually do work. An internship is an observatory position especially if you are not paying him. This could lead you into hours & wages laws violations.

This does not constitute legal advice and is purely informational and we do not have an attorney-client relationship until a fee agreement is signed. The details of your case can vary slightly and the legal analysis can be then totally different. Do not rely on legal aswers to address your particular situation but seek a direct contact wih an attorney.


A J1 visa is most appropriate. You can sponsor him if you have a qualifying business. Seek an attorney's counsel to ensure you take all appropriate steps.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer