Skip to main content

Regarding arrest for license suspension

Brooklyn, NY |

A year ago I was found guilty for a speeding ticket and I had to pay the driver’s responsibility assessment I was told I had a period of 3 years to pay it, so I paid $150 and have a balance of $300 the year is not yet, I never got a notification in the mail regarding the balance so I figure I can pay another installment whenever I have the money like around November or December before the year is over, last night I was stopped and was arrested put in handcuffs and when I got there I went to the system for 4 hours, got finger printed, picture strip search like a terrorist which I think that is unfair because its not like I committed a crime or had an illegal accident, than the cops told me that my license was suspended because of that payment. I will go to DMN tomorrow and pay another installment to lift the suspension, I have a court date to appear next month, what can I do not only to fight this but to make sure my record is void for that nonsense, delete my information for that arrest, is there anything that can be done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to find out the exact reason for the suspension from DMV. Then hire a good criminal defense lawyer. It is unlikely the DA will just dismiss the case unless the suspension was a mistake but there are things that can be done so you don't end up with a criminal record and to get the records sealed.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



that's my main concern to delete my info from the system or sealed the records, I went to dmv they mail the notice to the wrong address they told me I have to show the receipt and my driver license to the judge so the court can see a mistake was made


You should go to DMV and ask for a copy of your abstract/ driving record. Make sure that is the only thing suspending your license. Pay whatever fines you may have to pay to lift the suspension. Then hire a local attorney who can either have the case ACD or reduced, ensuring you don't have a criminal record. Good luck.


I agree with my colleagues. Get an attorney .

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer