Skip to main content

Regaining joint custody after drug rehabilitation...I willing gave my child to the paternal grandparents when my son was a

Owego, NY |

Little over a year old. They eventually filed for tempory custody n later got custody by default due to me not showing thou I never received papers. At this time they believed they were not blood related n never filed as grandparents. They received vdoc custody as opposed to ndoc. Which I was told was a positive. Soon after I was arrested. I wrote but they ignored me . I then went to long-term treatment for a year. We had no phone privileges so I wrote a letter n got no response. I went to court and received visitation as agreed upon. We were setting up a future visit and once the paternity results came back that he was blood I have never heard from them. I'm 19 months clean n about to leave a halfway house. I'm doing amazing. Do I have any hope? Are they trying to adopt? He'll be 4 soon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You have a complicated situation. This is really a hard question to answer on line. I think this is why four days have passed and no one has answered this for you. If you have completed rehab and you are clean that is good.

You need to do something soon to protect your rights. You should consult with a local attorney who concentrates in custody and Family Law matters. They will be able to better assess your situation and give you the advice you need to protect your rights as a parent. Good luck to you.

Attorney at Law
Valatie, New York

The information offered at this website is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding your individual situation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


It sounds like you have the basis for an application for a change of custody. The sooner you make the application the better. As for a better idea of what will happen speak to an attorney.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer