Skip to main content

Reentry after deportation

Yonkers, NY |

In February 1987 he was arrested by an undercover police officer for possession of a control substance, one half ounce of paraphernalia. He was sentenced to ninety days on jail. Now 23 years later my husband is imploring forgiveness. He was deported to Dominican Republic six years ago. Can he gets a pardon after deportation? Can he Reentry After Deportation to the US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Posting the same issue repeatedly DOES NOT chance its legal analysis:
"Your husband based on your submission may be convicted of a felony and for the purposes of the INA provisions is an inadmissible aggravated felony due to the crime he was convicted of.
There is no pardon for that time of offense. You may further consult a practicing immigration attorney in Yonkers, NY for a possibility of a Waiver, yet its success appears doubtful."

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


This is an immigration issue - not criminal defense.


You should repost or speak to an immigration attorney. He can apply for admission with the
conviction or attempt to reopen the old case. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


He needs an I-601 Waiver of grounds of inadmissibility with I-212 for re-entry. He needs to show factually the extreme hardship to qualifying relatives in the US. Or a possible 440 motion for vacating the drug convicton on Padilla grounds that he wasn't advised that he as a non-citizen of the US would be deported by pleading guilty to the crime. Was he convicted after trial or did he plead guilty? Did his lawyer say he would be deported because a drug conviction is pretty much a certainty to deportation unless its a very small amount of marijuana.

Hire a lawyer today to discuss all your legal rights and explore your husband's case.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado

Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
T. (347) 628-2391
F. (718) 672-4728

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer