Skip to main content

Red Light Camera ticket question. 'Its Not me"

Daly City, CA |

received a Red Light Camera ticket, but its not me! It is my son driving the car. It is not a fake ticket, I received the bail request from the courts, too. I want to know what the best way to handle this is. We don't want to have the ticket on my record, nor do we want to turn in our son. We cosigned on the car for my son, so he is a registered owner, too. We have a couple weeks before we have to respond to the Notice to Appear/Bail Request. We do not live nearby, so going to the court would be difficult. Please let me know if you think you can help us.

We live in Southern California, probably 7 hour drive to Daly City. Is there another way to take care of it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your best option is to show up on the appearance date, and tell the judge it wasn't you. Bring a copy of the photo. The courts I've seen will immediately dismiss the case when the photo is a different person (which should be clear), and there is no need to "turn your son in"; it's VERY unlikely the prosecutor will investigate the case any further.


Go to court and tell the judge it's not you. You're not obliged to rat on your son. Red light tickets are a dystopic


Lots of good info:

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.