Skip to main content

Red flag issue .

Rochester, NY |

I'm 19 & pregnant and have to go to court for a pest larceny that I did at my own job . I have gotten fired and have to appear to court would I be put on a red flag for a while till court is done

Petit larc. Need to know if I can look for a job

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should retain the services of a criminal or municipal attorney in your area in order to assist you. The attorney may be able to plea it down to an ordinance violation which would not be as troublesome for your record.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The Mack Cali Building
One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
(201) 654-0716

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


I'm not sure what you mean by "red flag." The arrest charge will show up on a criminal background check while the case is still pending. What happens after that depends on how the case turns out. I suggest you retain a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


An open case, with no conviction, may still be accessible to a background check, so the common wisdom is to fight the charge with an attorney. If you avoid a conviction, eventually the record is sealed and you will be in a better position then to find work without something turning up.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Red flag? Meaning employment?

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer