Skip to main content

Record Sealing for Michigan Probate Court (Mental Health Commitment)

Port Huron, MI |

I was the subject of a motion for an involuntary commitment/psychiatric evaluation. I followed all recommendations of the hospital and the matter never went further to probate court. The existence of case documents begun by this petition appears on local court records search engines/web sites. What recourses do I have available to me to request the sealing, expunction, destruction or similar mechanisms to render access to these documents non-public? Additionally, assuming that such a means to seal/destroy/make non-public exists, once sealed or rendered non-public, can the very existence of these case files or documents be disclosed online or through a digital publicly available search engine (as a matter *independent* of any order barring public inspection of the underlying records)?

Additional Information: This matter occurred a number of years ago (greater than five) in the State of Michigan. This matter (petition) may have been begun with SCAO form PCM201.

+ Read More

Filed under: Probate court
Attorney answers 1


What you seek might be possible, in the sense of sealing the record but generally the fact that a case was filed will appear in the public records of the cell yet and therefore show up on a search.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .