Skip to main content

Recommendations for US work visa.

Thousand Oaks, CA |

My inquiry is to get recommendation for a US work visa. My girlfriends company is transferring her on a L-1. They have offered me a job to accommodate her the best way possible. I am a Canadian citizen in a powerline technician apprenticeship. The positive they have offered me is as a solar technician. I do not have a bachelors degree and the H2-B visa would not be long enough is there any other options I have???

We are not married yet so I would not be able to get on an L-2 visa as of right now. If I were to get an H2-B visa is there anyway I can transfer from that one to another ? Something's that would keep me there for a longer period of time?Even though I have no degree?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hello and congratulations!
As the spouse of an L-1 visa holder, you will have the right to apply for L-2 visa/status with the US CPB at the airport in Canada, prior to boarding the US bound flight. Once you enter the US on an L-2 visa/status, you have the right to immediately apply for and employment authorization card, which you will receive within 2-3 months after filing. It will be valid for 2 years at a time, and can be extended in 2 year increments for as long as wife will maintain valid L-1 status. This is a better option, and one that will be much easier to comply with than with the rigid (and costly) rules of the H-2B "temporary" or "seasonal" worker visa/status. Welcome to the US!

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You should have a consultation with an immigration attorney to determine what visa options would be suitable for you. If you are in love and get married, it would create more options for you.

Viera Buzgova (512) 476-7163. The information above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice specific to your case.


I agree with Mr. Behar, congratulation is in order.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer