Skip to main content

Receiving SDI when moving to another state

Orange, CA |

I just granted SDI in California but I am moving to Texas next week because I got married. Can I continue to receive SDI from California? Do I need to let them know I am moving?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


you must inform the State of California and they will advise you as to whether it will be paid by Californi or Texas.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


If you paid into SDI and were disabled in California SDI the likelihood ois the claim will be paid by California.

See link below.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.


This isn't a family law question and I wish that you'd pose it to the E.D.D.