Skip to main content

Received an Order to Appear and/or Produce Subpoena for Old Debt

Corpus Christi, TX |

Sister received this subpoena to appear personally at the time and place stated below ( Magistrates Courtroom) and all proof of income papers she has . This is for an old car debt she had with her ex husband. They finally had their final divorce hearing the end of March. She is a stay at home mom receiving state aid for the time being. The court that she is supposed to appear at is 8 hours away and she can't afford to travel that far. She is getting everything together to file for bankruptcy because of all the divorce debt she was left with. Can she call the court and ask them if she can just send her foodstamp and income info to the court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The best thing would be to get a bankruptcy lawyer now and have the lawyer handle it. The lawyer can probably get it done with a call. Once the bankruptcy is filed they are no longer legally allowed to subpoena her. So that is the first priority.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


I agree with Mr. Arbuckle.

Your sister should not try to handle this herself by calling the clerk or anyone else. She needs a lawyer, probably a consumer bankruptcy one, for this. No, sending the clerk documents, such as food stamps, will not accomplish anything. A subpoena is a court order to appear in court in person. Failing to appear in person can land your sister in jail.

I wish your sister good luck.