Skip to main content

Received a restitution form from the Dekalb County Solicitor General Office?

Decatur, GA |

I was in a car accident in July (woman ran stop sign and t-boned me which sent me across a couple lanes of traffic and into a tree). Since then my attorney and I were able to get a $10,000 settlement. I thought that was the end of the process, but today I received a letter from the Dekalb County Solicitor General's office with a restitution form attached asking me to complete it for her "sentencing recommendations" to provide information that would aid the prosecutor against her? I'm confused. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

Before she is sentenced the court wants to make sure either she or her insurance co. has made restitution to you by paying all of your damages, (ie:: fixing your car,, paying your medical bills, paying for lost work time, paying for your pain and suffering), and any other damages you sustained. Since you have already settled your case I would assume your settlement covered all of those items. If not, better have a talk with your atty. and ask why didn't he explain that you before accepting a settlement. If your attorney cannot explain the situation to you or if you have further questions, you may contact me at no charge for a consultation. Go to the "Contact" page at Indicate in the comments that your question is intended for Mr. Rothstein. I hope I have answered your question. If so, please indicate "best answer" to Avvo. Thank you.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.


You have an attorney - contact your attorney and discuss.


Talk to your attorney about this!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


You should be discussing this with your attorney.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Yes that's common, and your attorney is the person who you should have called. No one here is familiar with your case.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Yes, it's common. Discuss with your attorney.


I agree with the responding attorneys. You should contact your attorney as soon as possible to clarify. Best of luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer