Received a citation for "Registration Improperly Displayed" while having my current reg. with me. Can this get dismissed?

Euless, TX |

I had previously asked a police officer in another city about having an expired registration on my windshield, since it is cracked and I am waiting for the money to replace it before applying my new sticker, and he said that the my vehicle being registered is noted in their computer, so it isn't a big deal. The police officer that cited me said that I got the citation for "Registration Improperly Displayed" but the citation doesn't specify how it is improperly displayed (which is required in some states I believe). I have proof that the vehicle was registered at the time, and even showed the officer the current registration.

Depending on your record, most jurisdictions will give you the opportunity to dismiss a ticket like this, especially if you already have proof of registration. You should address this with the judge at your court hearing or hire a local attorney to handle it for you.

No attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. The information provided by the this attorney on this website is not legal advice and visitors are encouraged to consult with an attorney before making any decisions regarding their legal issue.

If you have a date to appear, do so with the current registration in hand to show the court. The ticket should be dismissed. That said, part of complying with the law is to have the proper registration AND to display it. So the court might not be lenient if when you show to court you still have not replaced the windshield and applied the sticker. I suggest going and getting the windshield now and showing the court that you were just about to do it when cited. That should guarantee a dismissal of the ticket.

Good luck

Is it true in Texas that the citation must state how the registration was improperly displayed? Also, the citation says "...I PROMISE TO APPEAR AT THE TIME LISTED BELOW" and below that it says "This citation is delinquent 3- calendar days from the date of issuance" but has no other date/time listed below. Is this the time in reference above?

*On the above comment it should read "...delinquent 30 calendar..." On the same topic, I noticed that an EXPIRED registration can be dismissed (with the small administrative fee) if a person shows proof within 30 days, but it doesn't mention an improperly displayed registration. This means that someone can knowingly avoid paying for their registration until they get caught, and get it dismissed, but they are trying to prevent the people who actually paid for their registration from getting it dismissed? Would my chances of dismissal by just going to the clerk with my current registration receipt and a photo of my new windshield with the registration "properly" displayed be decent? Or should I appear in court/hire a traffic ticket lawyer to appear on my behalf? I know the law says to properly display it, but seeing as how it displays just fine in their computer system, the ability to give a citation based on this seems ridiculous, and I have not been able to find the fee amount for this, but I am assuming that it is roughly the same as a speeding violation, which is even more ridiculous.