Reasons to modify timesharing agreement

Miami, FL |

My ex and I signed an agreement in mediation regarding timesharing. However, she doesn't really agree with it and states that she signed because she didn't have an attorney and I did. She wants to take me back to court because she doesn't agree with the "agreement". She has called DCF on me for neglect and abuse to my child and her, and substance abuse all of which has been unfounded. I don't feel I have done anything against the agreement but she gets pissed off if I don't do things the way she wants. She trys to accuse me of not feeding my child or giving medicine. I want to know what she needs to modify timesharing agreement when nothing has changed.

To modify the existing arrangement, she would need to prove to the court that there has been a substantial change in circumstances. If the court finds that there has not been one, the court would be unable to modify anything at that point.

Not only does she have to show a substantial and material change in circumstances since the entry of the Order approving the settlement, she has to show that her requested modification would be in the child's best interest. Generally, it is difficult for a parent to show that restricting the other parent's time sharing is in the child's best interest.

Please remember that Q & A forums such as this one are intended to provide general information, not specific legal advice upon which you should rely in making decisions about your case. Before making any such decisions regarding your case, please consult a lawyer .

The modification of a timesharing plan requires a showing of a substantial, material, and unanticipated change of circumstances and a determination that the modification is in the best interests of the child. While it is possible to satisfy this legal standard, a high evidentiary burden must be met. From the facts that you have presented, it appears that your ex has not met that burden.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.