Skip to main content

Rear-ended by a cab, may not be able to work again. what are the limits for a a settlement. doc's R talking disability filing

Dallas, TX |
Attorney answers 14

Best Answer

I just finished a trial against "Yellow Cab", they should be sued as Irving Holdings, Inc and the driver. They claim the driver is an independant driver, but you should be able to defeat this claim. In Dallas-Ft Worth Irving Holdings, Inc. self insures the first $250k in damages then they have coverage for the next $250k.
The city requires the coverage and the cab company relies on the City to inspect the vehicles. These are more complicated caes than a standard car wreck, and you should consult/hire an attorney familiar with the cab business. The Cab company has very safisticated lawyers and adjuster. Max Romero jusr retired from the company. Good luck.


If you have that serious of an injury--you need a personal injury attorney on your side. This is not the kind of case you want to venture through alone. Call one of us who do personal injury in Texas for a free consultation. Hope this helps.


What does your attorney say are the limits of the insurance policy? You do have an experienced car accident attorney, don't you?


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Most cab companies self insure their independent contractor cabdrivers. These are tricky cases, and you must typically sue the cabdriver as well as the correct cab company. Cab cases are not do-it-yourself matters. Hire a lawyer.

John Zgourides
Board Certified - Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
(713) 876-7001

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


There is no limit. If you do not get an attorney, you will probably get very little. If you get a board certified personal injury lawyer, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Taxi cases are tricky for technical reasons.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


If you have not already done so, retain a local personal injury. He/she will be able to obtain insurance omits through discovery or even just by contacting the insured's insurance company. In my past experience, taxi cabs usually carry minimum liability policies, so you may want to consider a under insured motorist claim if that is the case (provided you insurance coverage allows for same). In any event, make sure you see an attorney and make sure you get to the right doctors and follow their treatment plans for you.


First, I am very sorry to hear about your injury and possible disability. You are about to interact with the civil justice system and for that reason I strongly encourage you to hire a personal injury specialist to assit you in this matter. Second, your question is very vague as to the details of the collision, so it is hard to give you any real advice about settlement opportunities. However, generally speaking you will need to keep the following things in mind:

1. Most cabs are self-insured so you will be dealing with the cab company directly if that is the case. Cabs get sued often and they normally have a law firm on retainer that will defend the cab driver, despite the fact that they will maintain that the cab driver is an independant contractor and that there is no liability against the owner/operator. Texas law provides that drivers have 30K in liablity insurance, minimum.

2. Since you mention a disability claim, if you were working at the time of the collision, you may have been in the course and scope of employment. If so, you need to find out if your employer had worker's compensation insurance or any other alterntaive defined benefit plan that may be used to cover your medical bills, lost wages and other damages.

Finally, if your collision occurred in Texas, you have two years from the date of the incident to file a a lawsuit or your case will be time barred regardless of the merits. Best wishes for your recovery and this claim.


I will be glad to consult with you free of charge. I actually used to work for an insurance company here in the Dallas area that insured many of the cab companies in town. I regularly worked on accident claims involving cabs. I will tell you this: Cab companies tend to be very unscrupulous in car accident cases. I would advise that you DO NOT handle this matter yourself. You should, at least, consult with a lawyer and hire the one that you feel most comfortable with.


There is a reason that 10 different lawyers responding to this post have all told you to hire an attorney.


Hi. There's some good news and bad news here. First, the bad news. Cab companies are notoriously difficult to deal with. I would always recommend hiring a lawyer in a personal injury case, but in your situation it is an absolute must. The good news is that there is no cap on damages in a case like this. Above all else, hire a reputable personal injury lawyer. Let us know if we can help.


You have received good advice from my colleagues. Please make sure you continue to care for and treat your injuries. I suggest you also immediately retain an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization to pursue your claim. Cab cases can have many pitfalls because of how the cabs are insured and other issues. Please do not attempt to handle this case on your own. Good luck.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.


Can cases require you to sue the driver and can company. There are some tricks to getting more than the minimum self insurance that most cab companies have. I recommend you stop talking to the cab company immediately and call a lawyer. If you have Any other questions ease add a call or simply ask. Thank you.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


Your lawyer should have the answers

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer