Skip to main content

Re SSDI garnishment for child support arrears (5 years+), can garnishment rate of 65% be reduced by request of RECEIVING party?

Greenwich, CT |

Arrears date back more than 5 years to present, during which time parent owing CS had job(85K+), 99 weeks unemployment income. Non-paying parent now receiving SSDI, garnished (single, no other 'supported' children) at 65%. Can custodial/ ChildSupport receiving parent ask to receive lower payment (lesser garnishment) than 65%?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sure, they can ask, but they'll have to ask the court to lower it, and the court will have to agree and issue a modified support order.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.