Skip to main content

Re-entry Permit:

Irvine, CA |

How long does it take to get one? Can I file it then leave the states, come back for fingerprinting leave again and the lawyer can collect and forward it to me overseas?
What is the validity, is it 2 years from the date of filing or from the date of approval?
Thanks in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The current national processing time for a re-entry permit is about 4 months, but it can take longer depending upon which service center the request filed with and request for evidence. You must be present for biometrics. You should remain the U.S. until you have completed biometrics. Your application can be denied if you depart the U.S. prior to completing biometrics. USCIS recommends the application be filed at least 60 days in advance of the travel. Once biometrics have been completed, you can travel. The re-entry permit can be sent to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. The re-entry permit is typically good for two years after issuance.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


I concur with Attorney Barlow.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


About 4 months. You can leave the US and return for the fingerprints. You do not need an attorney to collect it for you. The USCIS will mail it to you overseas.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I also agree with attorney Barlow. You have to remain in the US until you get that approval or else it will be considered an abandonment of your application.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer