Skip to main content

RE: Social Security Administeration ( SSA ) Appeals Counsel Review filing dated 7/26/2005

Liverpool, NY |

SSA Regional Public Affairs Office NY NY.mailed me a letter dated 1/11/2013 with an enclosed copy of a letter from my local SSA Office involving I filed the SSA-520 Appeals Counsel Review on 7/26/2005 & all my appeals has been exhausted. I never received a copy or the APPEALS COUNCIL REVIEW . Please advise what can I do now ? My local SSA Office sent it in & tole me it could take 2 years. after the two yrs.were up my local SSA office would not respond to me on the status of it so I continued to call SSA toll free# I was always told it was pending & in different offices. later I was told it was NEVER FILED. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS NOW. My injury disability resulted from N Y State Workers Comp.injury, I was approved for SSD with an onset date 1/28/1997 rec.benefits on 7/97.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your situation requires a consult with a local attorney who is very familiar with Social Security Disability law. No one here can advise you based on the facts you presented. You can find local qualified attorney by searching here on Avvo or going to

Best of luck.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


Ms. Stevens is correct.

You may want to talk to an attorney in your area so you can review the specific facts with counsel. If you do not have an attorney, there are a number of good attorneys in your area, some of whom you can find here on Avvo. You may also contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney.

You may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is:

You may also contact NADR (National Association of Disability Representatives) – automated Telephone Referral System at 1-800-747-6131.

Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer