Skip to main content

R-1 Visa Extension or New Visa after 5 years?

Tampa, FL |

I got my R-1 visa in 2007 valid for 5 years and been in and out of US since then. It expires next year 2012 in May. I want to know if I can get an extension or I can apply for another R-1 visa. I have not worked for one employer but been with different ones. I dont know what I could do to get a new visa since getting a green card is equally hard.

Can they give me another visa if I did apply in my home country or I have to wait for the one year before applying? Anyone who knows can help me here. Thanks,

Thanks for the answer below. Can I apply then for the Green Card after working for 6 months before the expiry of my R-1 visa? I am asking because, I have a job offer that I will work till the expiry of my visa. Just wondering if this would give a better perspective to what I am seeking. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


R-1 is limited to five years. It cannot be extended beyond five years, and in order to be able to get a new visa for another five years, you will need to be outside the US for one year.


In response to the second part of your question, a foreign national does not even have to be in the United States to become a legal permanent resident. For example, if the foreign nationals are abroad, they obtain immigrant visas and become LPRs when they enter. Then, they receive their green cards in the mail.

This attorney is Board Certified, speaks Spanish and English, and has an office in South Florida. For more information, click through to my web site.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer