Skip to main content

Quit Claim Deed challenge - undue influence

Flushing, NY |

My mother owns a condo with my brother in Manhattan. Her name is on the deed along with my borther's name. My name is not on the deed. My mother transferred her interest in the condo by quit claim deed to me a few weeks ago. My brother told me he is planning on challenging the deed, saying I unduly influenced my mother's decision. My mother is old and her health is failing, but she understands that she deeded the house to me and she did this of her own free will. She has lived with me in Florida for the past several years and is too ill to travel to New York.

What is the best way for me to ensure that the quit claim deed from my mom to me is upheld in court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Is there any reason why this was done via Quit Claim deed and not Bargain and Sale deed? I think the other would have been better for you. There are things that you can get to show your mom's intent.. notarized letters, video, other witnesses etc...

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website


I agree with the suggestions earlier made although I wouldn't be so concerned about the type of deed. The best thing to do would be to get a doctor's statement ( or sernior care case worker) who has talked to your Mom outside your presence and is willing to state that the deed was executed will your Mom was competent and without undue influence.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer