Skip to main content

Quick Question: I have completed my undergrad degree in US and about to get my OPT, can I leave US although my F1 expired ?

Houston, TX |

Will I need to renew my F1 while I am back home ? I do have a valid passport, I-20 and job offer, OPT and EAD card ?

Is there a risk for not getting F1 visa stamped although I have OPT and EAD etc ? Thanks for your answer!.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A visa is what allows admission into the U.S. You will need a new visa to get into the country.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Yes, you will need to get a new visa stamp. Talk to your foreign student adviser. He/she should have an information sheet to help you.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Thanks for all the help. I am just scared that my F1 visa stamp will be denied back at home and I will lose everything, thats all. I am reading that there is a possibility that U.S. consulate might deny my F1 stamp even though I am on OPT and have a job back at home.


If you leave while your OPT application is pending then it will automatically be voided.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer