Skip to main content

Questions regarding L2 to L1A conversion

Indio, CA |

I am working in one of the leading IT Company and have more than 10 years of experience. My spouse is also in the same company and got L1 visa recently. I am planning to go to US on L2 by taking leave. My company will not entertain me to work on L2. If my company files L1 for me

Q1) Can I file L1 A visa from US or Do I need to go to my home country and file for L1 Visa ?
Q2) if I can file visa from US, after getting the petition approval, do I need to go to my home country/ Canada/Mexico for stamping?
Q3) if I can file visa from US, after getting the petition approval, can I start working without going to any country for stamping

Requesting for responses please..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is always best to enter with the correct visa instead of applying for a change of status.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It is not advisable to seek change of status within 3 months of entry.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.