Skip to main content

Question to Car accident/Injury Lawyers who practice in Minnesota.

Minneapolis, MN |

I have a full coverage car insurance. Someone rear ended me and run. Police came to the seen. Issued a hit and run report. Finally found this guy after two months. Correct me if I am wrong but in MN, this is a no fault injury.
If I get treatment at medical providers, who is responsible to pay my medical bills? My insurance or this persons insurance company?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Ok, I'll correct are mistaken as to the meaning of no fault. A person who hits another in the rear is typically liable. Since you were injured, retain a local personal injury lawyer to pursue a claim against this at-fault driver.


Generally, a driver who rear-ends another is deemed at-fault, but there are exceptions (e.g., if the vehicle/driver hit did not have brake lights working, etc.) Minnesota law in this area involves a form of proportional comparative fault analysis. Please confer with an attorney in the event you are injured and she/he can assist and advise you. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - ST CLOUD. This law firm may accept avvo posters as clients but this post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation. Please do seek private attorney counsel as to your personal legal issues and needs.


No fault means that your own insurance will cover your medical bills in the beginning. That way you don't have to wait years for a lawsuit to conclude to get some relief. That doesn't mean that you won't have a liability claim against the other driver and liability carrier. Get an injury attorney retained right away. Good luck.

Do not rely on this information. My office accepts clients from Avvo, but this initial impression is not protected by any privilege and is not attorney-client communication. You should consult a lawyer promptly about your legal matter.


Under Minnesota law, your initial medical expenses will be paid by your own insurance company. These benefits are referred to as Minnesota No Fault Benefits. Your own insurance company will pay your initial bills regardless of who is at fault for the occurrence of the accident. You may be able to bring a claim against the other individual for personal injury at a later time, but your initial claims will all be through your own insurance provider. You should consult with a local personal injury attorney to sort out all of the insurance policies involved in this situation (No Fault, liability, uninsured motorist, etc.).

My Standard Disclaimer: this general information does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation prior to taking any actions or making any omissions.


My colleagues are correct. You own insurance company will pay medical expenses and loss wages as a result of the injury. You should look to your policy to see what coverage you have, It will be listed as Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This is the same as No Fault. Generally, each person has up to $20K coverage for medical and $20K coverage for lost wages. Any expenses over and above that can be claim inan action brought against the driver who was at fault. You can add to that claims such things as past and future pain and suffering as we as permanent injuries. Talk to an experienced personal injury attorney to help you through this. You don't want to be taken advantage of in this sometimes complicated legal area. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer