Question related to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

San Diego, CA |

Does post-employment retaliation in the form of a SLAPP suit violate Title VII if the SLAPP refer to discriminatory lending practices alleged by the former employee?

A statutorily-enabled lawsuit on SLAPP or any other grounds will not be found to itself constitute actionable retaliation. Everyone, individuals and business entities, is entitled to exercise their statutory rights to legal process.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Is a SLAPP objecting to allegations of discriminatory lending practices "that are true" considered retaliation under Title VII against a former employee?

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

A statutorily-enabled lawsuit on SLAPP or any other grounds will not be found to itself constitute actionable retaliation.

I say this respectfully, but "not found to itself constitute actionable retaliation" is so qualified an answer it doesn't really address my question. Couldn't that be said of any lawsuit? For example, a bad post-employment job reference does not constitute actionable retaliation, but if it was untrue, it would, correct?

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Let's try this: The act of bringing a lawsuit will not -- standing alone and by itself -- be found to constitute an act of retaliation if the lawsuit was authorized by law. One does not unlawfully retaliate by exercising one's statutorily authorized rights to legal process.Claims of unlawful retaliation must be based on actions not specifically authorized by law.

Your question is unclear and more information is needed.

Whether by "SLAPP suit" you mean a lawsuit brought with the intention of discouraging protected speech, etc., or a special motion to strike in defense of such a lawsuit (i.e., an "antiSLAPP motion"), neither would by itself amount to a civil rights violation because of something called the "litigation privilege" and for other reasons.

By the way, in California we generally look primarily at the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) to remedy civil rights claims in employment rather than the federal Title VII because the FEHA tends to have broader protections.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Follow me on Twitter @joeroselaw. I answer questions on Avvo to try to help get you pointed in the right direction. But, I am not your attorney. Beware, my answers here are general, limited, incomplete, and can never be as complete, thorough, or accurate as one I would give to a client after hearing all of the facts and details of my client's situation and applying the correct law. Also, I am admitted to practice law only in California and all of my answers are intended exclusively for the Golden State.

We lost the Special Motion to Strike (and my defense attorney is appealing) because as I have recently learned there is great latitude in what a SLAPP Plaintiff can say in the complaint and there was a significant amount of untruths told. I'm now seeking a Plaintiff attorney for a counter suit on grounds of abuse of process or ?.

Joseph Wayne Rose

Joseph Wayne Rose

If you already have an attorney representing you in this case then you should be consulting with your own attorney about this. You can't sue for "abuse of process" until after you win the case on its merits, and even then you may not have a case. If you want a second opinion, you should hire another attorney to review the documents and give you one. You won't get reliable information by posting piecemeal questions on Avvo about your pending lawsuit in which you are already represented. You will only end up more confused.

I have an insurance-company appointed defense attorney whose only function is to defend me, but I was given the go ahead by the insurance company to pursue a separate counter-claim as a Plaintiff with another attorney. I have consulted with other attorneys, but wanted to get feedback here as well. My apologies for posting.

No

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)