Skip to main content

Question regarding serving in small claims court

Torrance, CA |

I had to have my court date post poned because i was out of town during the first court date, and when i came back from the trip and tried to serve him but the defendant had changed address, so i tried to get into contact with him but he intentionally ignored my attempts, so i tried the address correction through the mail service and nothing came up, so i had hired a private detective but by the time they were finished i was already on the last day to serve him, but nobody was home when i had tried to have him served, will the court allow me to postpone the court date, what other measures can i take regarding this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You might call the court's self help center. They should have someone there to advise you on eir procedures to notify the court of all youhave attempted to do and how to achieve service. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Show up at the hearing and explain it to the judge. They will usually give you a continuance to get it served.