Skip to main content

Question on Part 6 (Sponsors Income & Employment) on form I-864 ( Affidavit of support under 213A of the Act).

New York, NY |

I am a Green Card Holder. I recently got married & I am filling out form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) for my Spouse. I do not have any income because i recently graduated from Medical School (Abroad) & preparing for USMLE exams. I did not file any taxes previously since i did not have any income. My spouse has a full time job & he makes around 35k/Year. I am not sure what to include in questions 1-5 under Part 6 since i do not have any income & can i include my spouse name & income under questions 6.a-c. Also since i did not file any taxes what do i enter in questions 13 a-c for federal tax returns. We cannot afford an attorney at this point. So any help is much appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to answer the questions honestly. Your husband can file a form I-864A to show his income.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Are you sure that it's time to file the I-864?

If you only have a greencard, how is your new spouse being sponsored?

If you file an I-130 for him, it will be a couple of years before the affidavit is needed.

Meet with an attorney to make sure you're doing the right thing.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with Mr. Capriotti. How did you figure that out that AOS is due?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer