Skip to main content

Question about I-184 affidavit of support. What should I put as sponsor's total income on Part 6, 13 (a)?

Chicago, IL |

My husband (US. citizen) makes 38,000 (after tax) last year. I, the immigrant personally have a rental property in U.S. that brings $14,000 per year, no employment yet. We filed 1040 married filling jointly, the adjusted gross income is $51,000. Now he's filling the I-184 form, what should he put in Part 6 (13 a) for sponsor's income on Federal tax returns? $51,000 as record on the 1040 form or his wage? Do we need to provide the rental property info? The rental property only has my name on it as I bought it before we get married. Thanks a lot!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless your household exceeds 8 people your adjusted gross income will be sufficient. Here is the link to the affidavit of support requirements:


The Affidavit of Support is a very detailed federal form and may be confusing. Please read its instructions ah the USCIS. gov before submitting and if you need further assistance, present its details for a review with a counsel in person before mailing.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


That's I-864 (not I-184). If he is sponsoring only 1 person and using only his income to qualify, then he should put only his income of $38,000. I agree with my colleague that it would be in our best interest to sit down with a lawyer to make sure the information put on the form is accurate.

Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer