Skip to main content

Question about an uninsured contractor

Lindenhurst, NY |

I want to get a contractor because he's cheap. He's advertising that he is licensed and insured. I'm thinking if he is lieing and anything happens that he tries to sue me ( not for his fee it's excluded in this of course) can I sue for misrepresentation? How much of a chance do I have for winning?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Dear Lindenhurst Home Owner:

Check with the local office if the contractor's license is current.

Cheap usually means disaster, as there are no shortcuts to quality work. Shop around. Ruining your house (your biggest investment) because you did not vet the contractor or shop around makes no sense.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens


Oh by the way. You do not want to get to a point where you are suing. So avoid your headaches up front.


Ask him for his proof of insurance. This is done all the time and is required by banks and large institutions for big jobs. It is best for you to protect yourself. Also, Angie's list is a good place to check out contractors. I use it all the time. You can also check online in most places for his licensing. Trust but verify.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


Check with the County regarding whether he is licensed and insured. They will acknowledge if he has a license and provide you with his insurance carrier. Then you should contact the insurance company to make sure his insurance is up to date. As for your other questions, don't think there is much relevance to them. Most contractors are liability proof, ie., their assets are owned by their relatives or spouses, and most insurance companies do not defend or pay out for "misrepresentations".

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer