Skip to main content

Question: If someone is claiming a false Non Profit Organization on Facebook and is collecting money through her personal site

San Francisco, CA |

saying that upon donations, she will supposedly carve the names of the donors on the pieces of art works she later does (whatever that supposed to mean), is this a legal conduct to collect money WITHOUT having an official non profit organization. Wouldn't this mean that she could collect donations without paying taxes on her donations because no one would know, but herself, how much she was given. I am clueless about how business law works, but this is why I am providing the facts to sk if this type of behavior is legal. Please advise because I'm about to report her. Also, where do you think it is appropriate to report her, to the police, to the FBI or any other place...perhaps the Attorney general...PLEASE advise.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I would recommend contacting the California Attorney General's Charitable Trusts Section for assistance with your concerns. I've included their link, below. They have jurisdiction over this issue - and they tend to take fraud such as you are alleging quite seriously.

May L. Harris
For Purpose Law Group, a PLC

The information that has been provided on this website, including information contained in any link or informational reference, does not – and shall not be considered to – constitute legal or professional advice. The reader should not consider such information to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, should neither act nor rely on such information, and should always seek the advice of competent counsel licensed in the reader's state. Attorneys with the For Purpose Law Group are generally licensed to practice law only in the State of California. The ability of the reader to access this website in another jurisdiction does not constitute the practice of law outside of California, or a representation that members of the For Purpose Law Group are licensed to practice in any other jurisdiction. This site is not intended to, nor does it establish an attorney / client relationship between you and this office.



awesome, thanks so much!


Could be registered in a different state. You are free to call the police to investigate.


Call the authorities but based on the facts you gave there are other possibilities for validation of non profit.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at



Thanks, Can you name those validations as I am not sure what you mean by that. Are you claiming that not all non profits could be listed or am I not correct. I've looked through databases from IRS to a few others sites and that non profit is not listed at all while the website is asking for donations.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer