Skip to main content

Query of B1/B2 visa holder for change of visa status(E2) presently in USA,

Parkston, SD |

Dear sir,my query is regarding change of status from B1/B2 to E2 ,while presently staying in USA having 6 months valid visa of above mentioned categary.How much substantial amount USA gov web site (USCIS) maens?.Moreover can i apply E2 visa for my family from USA.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


An initial E-2 must be applied for at a US Consulate abroad.


Substantial is very substantial ... more than $100,000 of funds from outside of the US.

Meet with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You can apply for an E-2 "status" from USCIS in the US, and if approved, will only be granted for 24 months. Good for while you remain in the US only. If you leave, you'll have to return with an E2 visa.

The smarter thing to is to prepare the visa package, and once the investment is complete ("consummated"), apply for an E2 visa at the US consulate in your home country. You will the get a visa valid for up to 5 years (depending on your nationality) and UsCIS will admit you each time in 24 month increments.

The investment must be "substantial" for the type of business you either create or buy into. There is no set minimum amount. For consulates oversea, however there is the minimum "psychological" threshold of at least $70,000 and with USCIS of at least $50,000.

I have almost 20 years experience with having successfully filed E2 visa applications at consulates worldwide (was never denied) and stand ready and eager to help you. Call my office, even today.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


From our experience, it is possible to change from B-2 to E-2. Yes, your dependents can come in on an E-2.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site: