Skip to main content

Purchased a car in a private sale and changed my mind. Can I get my money back?

Sacramento, CA |

I live in California. The seller didn't even give me a title. He had it registered currently with the DMV, but no title in hand because he had just turned in the transfer title paperwork in- the car had been purchased from an auction. I drove it home, and it was leaking oil like crazy. I took it to my mechanic and they said there was a major leak- it would cost more than a thousand dollars to repair the leak. I feel like an idiot.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unfortunatley, the short answer is: no. Used car purchases are "as is". If you can prove the seller made some express promise about the condition of the car, which was false, and you can prove the seller acted fraudulently, it may be possible to rescind the agreement.. it is very difficult to undo a sale in your circumstances.


I think Mr. Spitters pretty much has a handle on this. I should add if there was some clear lie in an advertisement OR if you find that this seller is a "dealer" (selling 5+ cars a year) but not licensed to do so, then you may have grounds to undo the deal. Good luck with it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer