Skip to main content

Pulled over in Washington state (king county) I had less then 10 dollars of marijuana on me and was arrested and released. Help!

Seattle, WA |

I was pulled over for going 8mph over the speed limit, the officer smelled marijuana and I told him I had a little on me, he took it and put me in the back of the police car. About 30min later two cops showed up and searched my vehicle, I was released and was told I could get a letter from the king county prosecutors office. Do I need a lawyer? And what could happen to me? Also I am 18 years old and I'm a medical marijuana caregiver for a friend.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. There might be options in your jurisdiction available to you short of a conviction to the charge. Local counsel will assist you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Even after the passing of I-502 it is still illegal to possess MJ if under 21... However, there may be other search and seizures issues that might be applicable to your case, which is why it is important to speak with an attorney. I suppose there may be a defense as the medical marijuana care giver that you would want to go over with an attorney as well. Did the officer suspect that your had been driving under the influence of marijuana? Obviously that would raise several other issues and concerns.

Joseph Rome


Yes, you do need a lawyer. Possession under 21 is illegal, but if you are a medical marijuana caregiver, there may be an affirmative defense. I published a law review article on medical marijuana law in Washington state. You can find it on my profile.

If you want to talk further, contact me directly.


You could receive a hearing notice to come to court in a few weeks. After you hire a lawyer, he or she can see if some significant negotiations can be had to help you.

Call me now.