Skip to main content

Public Information in Layman's Term

Orange, CA |

Let's say, an attorney named John created his website, which displays such information as his:

service area such as immigration (H visa), criminal case defense (viloent crime), and other practice areas

Can the above information be deemed "Public Information"?

If so, can I feel free to indicate on my own website that attorney John practices immigration including handling the H visa; Besides, he also practices the criminal law including the violent crime defense? Is that legal for me to say so (on my website)?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Information found on a public internet site is not considered private information.

Whether you can use someone else's information about what they do would depend on the purpose of your use. Because you do not disclose the purpose of your posting of this information, I can only say it would be prudent to share the specifics of your plan with an attorney before doing so.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


Listing an attorneys contact information and area of practice wouldn't be an invasion of privacy or personal information. Indeed, Avvo does just that, and the State Bar website has an attorney search that contains contact information for attorneys all over the State. I think the bigger issue for you is that you are seeking to start an internet related business and may end up engaging in other conduct that could involve using information and material that is protected under copyright laws, or otherwise is proprietary in nature. You would be wise to consult with a business attorney or attorney who specialized in advising internet based businesses on such matters before starting your venture. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find an attorney in your area to discuss your website business with... Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer