Skip to main content

Prvt Parties Slander-Defame: HR rep. leak/conveyed confidntl info regarding my debt to former employer. MD still Slander Per Se?

Owings Mills, MD |

Knowledge of this debt then spread amongst former co-workers as "why does he owe $3.7k (felony theft) did he steal equipment before he left?" The slander has been repeated 3x's that I know of. I am a professional engineer so this has damaged at least 1 relationship in my community, and I probably will not be able to be re-employed by former employer though left in good standing. Employer probably has immunity - however could I file a personal action against HR rep and her own personal liability? Know I can prove express malice, maybe even actual malice. Know I can show wanton disregard and prior knowledge info was false (no theft). Think I can demonstrate minor monetary damage (incidentals) & know I can show damage to reputation. MD still Per Se under Piskor v GMC & Sindor v Jacron?

Have pretty ample documentation and done most I can on my own via contacting (registered mail) employer to request stop, and other official remedies.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Suggest you stop with the self-help. Seems like a serious case with a lot at stake. No skilled attorney will want to step in AFTER you have put everything in concrete. Stop now before you wholly limit your options, and get a competent attorney to take over.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.



Thank you - good advice... Been difficult to know where to go on this, and little bit hard to find someone qualified. Thank you again, and hope the sun is shining in California.


Suggest you take McCall's advice.



Understood & thank you - good advice. Wondering if a Maryland based attorney could comment initially and then I could contact them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer