Protected Information in Court Documents

Grand Forks, ND |

I am wondering where I can find statutes regarding what type of information should be legally stricken from a records request. I am having a very difficult time finding such laws, particularly as it pertains to the state of North Dakota.

This is something your attorney should be doing for you. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on this site, and your local bar association is a good referral source too. You can also see if Legal Aid can help. This is a general education website, the attorney's here usually do not get involved in helping with cites and document preparation aid.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

I believe the rule on redacting personal information from court filing and the requirement to file the information under seal is in the North Dakota Rules of Court. You can find them on the ND Supreme Court website. Look here http://www.ndcourts.gov/rules/NDROC/frameset.htm.

The information that I am providing is general information based on my understanding of your question. You cannot and should not rely on this general advice in making legal decisions. There may be important information that you did not include in your question that could drastically change the advice an attorney that was fully informed would give you. I am not your attorney. My response does not create an attorney client relationship.