Skip to main content

Proof of name change after Naturalization

Katy, TX |

I was naturalized as a US citizen in Dec 2012. During my interview process with the officer, I was asked if I wanted to change my name (even though I had not indicated it on the N400). Thinking it would be an easy process, I dropped my middle name and added my husband's last name to my last name. The office made written notation on my application file. When I took the oath a week after the interview in a public ceremony, I just received my Naturalization certificate. No name change certificate was given. I now realize that I need this to surrender my Indian passport and get a visa for the same. How do I go about this? I need to travel on an urgent basis.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your changed name appears on your Naturalization certificate and you will apply for U.S. passport will have the new name.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.



Yes. My changed name is on my Naturalization Certificate. The problem is that when I am trying to renounce my Indian passport and get a tourist visa. The name on my Indian passport is HRC (First name,Middle Name, Last name). When I got naturalized I dropped the middle name and added my husband's last name to my last name. So it is now H CS (CS being last name). The problem is that the Indian consulate does not accept only the Naturalization certificate as proof. They need a court document. I was able to update my driver's license, SS and get a US passport without any issues. However, because I dropped my middle name, they still consider it a name change and want a formal court certificate. How do I get that??? Pls. note, this name change happened during my interview for naturalization and I did not get a name change certificate when I took oath. The oath ceremony was a public ceremony, but was administered by a Judge.


I concur.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Your name change should appear on your Certificate of Naturalization. Use this to apply for a US passport.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer