Skip to main content

Promissary Notes

Stockton, CA |

Can you still pursue someone after (3) three years for a signed promissory note. They owe me 22,000 in back rent. I have a signed promissary note by them.

+ Read More

Filed under: Debt
Attorney answers 4


There is no reason not to pursue someone for a $22k debt when you have a signed promissory note. I suggest you contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to help you collect this debt.



she's my AUNT


The statute of limitations on a written contract is 4 years. The statute begins to run as of the date of the breach which is the date of the last payment.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


If you sue them, it will stop the Statute of Limitations from running. Also, they might get serious about paying you if they are sued.


statute of limitations is 4 years from the date of the breach.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer