Skip to main content

Process to get married in california

Fullerton, CA |

"i am 17 years i turn 18 on july 21 im 6months pregnant and i want to get marry as soon as possible what are the steps i need to take to make this happen.. Also my boyfriend is 18 years of age and not a u.s citizen"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In California, a minor under the age of 18 can still get married. Specifically, California Family Code sections 302 and 303 provide as follows:

"302. (a) An unmarried male or female under the age of 18 years is
capable of consenting to and consummating marriage upon obtaining a
court order granting permission to the underage person or persons to

(b) The court order and written consent of the parents of each
underage person, or of one of the parents or the guardian of each
underage person shall be filed with the clerk of the court, and a
certified copy of the order shall be presented to the county clerk at
the time the marriage license is issued.

303. If it appears to the satisfaction of the court by application
of a minor that the minor requires a written consent to marry and
that the minor has no parent or has no parent capable of consenting,
the court may make an order consenting to the issuance of a marriage
license and granting permission to the minor to marry. The order
shall be filed with the clerk of the court and a certified copy of
the order shall be presented to the county clerk at the time the
marriage license is issued."

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.



Do i still need a court permission or can i just do the process with just my parents permission


I would strongly encourage you and your boyfriend to get some pre-marriage counseling before "taking the plunge." Given both your young age, the odds are stacked against this marriage working out. Perhaps with some counseling, you can both gain knowledge about how to keep the marriage in tact, and hence save a lot of heartache for all involved, including your unborn child.

That said, when you turn 18, the steps to get married in CA are:

1. Go to the County Clerk's Office to apply for a marriage license.

2. Once you've obtained the license, seek out an "officiant" such as a priest or a judge, who must perform the marriage ceremony.

3. After the ceremony, return the completed marriage license to the county recorder to register the marriage.