Process Serves

Tacoma, WA |

I am in the process of trying to serve my ex with papers for notice of show cause hearing. I have hired a process server as I live in California and my ex lives in Washington. The process server has made several attempts to serve her. she has had her living boyfriend answer the door and say she is not home, and now she has just stopped answering the door. My question is do I have to try other methods of serves (e.i. mail, publication), or will a letter from the process server stating that he has tried and failed because of avoidance be enough of an attempt in the eyes of the judge? Plus she has already stated in e-mail conversations that she has knowledge of the court date.

(i.e. mail, publication)......

Best Answer

Ask your process server to attempt service at places other than her home. Ask the process server to wait outside of her work, outside of the gym, or where she gets her hair done. Find out as much as you can about your ex's daily schedule and try to have her served when she is not expecting it. I suggest hiring a different process server if these options have not already been presented to you.

Have the process service keep trying. Meanwhile hire a private investigator. Uncover work, shopping and recreation habits so the process server knows when and where to get service.

It is unlikely that her just avoiding service will be enough to get the court to approve an alternate form of service. The right person will find a way to get her served. If the boyfriend lives with her, then he can be served in her place. You can also have the local police or sheriff do the service.

www.maplevalleylegal.com This page does not constitute legal advice. These pages do not constitute, nor do they create, an attorney-client relationship between Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and any receiver. This site is governed by a Site Use Agreement that you accept by reviewing these pages. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with an attorney. If you send any confidential information to Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and you are not a client of Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services , the information shall lose its confidential status. Furthermore, if the unsolicited information you send to our Law Office, and is beneficial to our clients and adverse to you, the information you provide may be used even if it is contrary to your interests

John Robert Bonin

John Robert Bonin

All prior answers are correct but Mr. LaBare's is actually the most helpful and informative to you asker. First, even difficult people seldom fail to come to the door for law enforcement and civil deputies wear uniforms. Second, while I have not researched the issue of service of an order to show cause in a family law matter by substitution upon a person of suitable age and discretion at the other parties abode, the suggestion you serve by substitution upon the boyfriend is actually a very solid suggestion for you. As Mr. LaBare does family law matters I suggest you follow up with him briefly on your facts just to make sure that what you are doing allows for - what is generally almost always allowed - service by substitution.