Skip to main content

Process Server NYState - I was under the impression the summons must be served 20 days before the date.

Rye, NY |

Just received a Summons on Thursday of last week for an appearance on Tuesday. That seems like a very short period of time. I'm asking for a continuance but that's a bit....short.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


That depends also on the type of action. If it's a special or summary proceeding, like say a Landlord/Tenant action (eviction), then there are far shorter notice requirements and six days is fine.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.



Child Support/Family Court


Dear Rye Parent:

Read about the child support process. Hire an attorney. All sorts of methods exist to make certain that the non custodial parent keeps support payments current.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.


It depends on what it's for.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer