Skip to main content

Procedure for filing a subpoena to get company's records regarding civil action filed in WA state, civil procedure rules

Spokane, WA |

I am attempting to subpeona a website host compnay for records relevant to my civil lawsuit. Does anyone know how to go about this. The case is in Washington State if that is any help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Have you already filed suit? This is a relatively easy process, once you have filed a complaint. Your lawyer should simply be able to issue a subpoena to the hosting company. Absent a valid objection, (in the form of a motion to quash) they should comply.


I am assuming that you don't have a lawyer. In this case if I were you, I would hire a lawyer to handle this issue. It's not easy to explain. If you must figure this out yourself, I would start with the Washington Civil Rules. There is a copy online, and if I recall correctly, there may be a form attached to the newly revised rule. Try for starters. I would still hire a lawyer if I were you, as there are also procedural rules to follow in addition to the basic rule.