Skip to main content

Procedure for contesting speeding tickets

Gastonia, NC |

I got two speeding tickets back to back. I got them reduced to 9 over, on both of them. How can I avoid getting points on my insurance and drivers license? Also one one ticket, the officer put an nonexisting address on the ticket, could I get it thrown out of court for that?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It seems that you seek a nebulosly perfect solution in situations that are too hard to predict, for there are many variables to any traffic citations outcomes.
The best way to protect your driving privileges and avoid any potentially adverse effects for your insurance I suggest hiring a professional attorney for your tickets. Do not wing it, you may regret it later if you attempt to rectify your citations without assistance of counsel.


To avoid getting points on your insurance, you need to obtain a prayer for judgment continued (PJC) on one of the reduced tickets. If you have already entered a plea before a judge, you will need to hire an attorney to help you file a motion to reopen the case and ask the judge for a PJC. The availability of a PJC will depend on your driving history. You should have an attorney review your driving record to see whether this option is available for you.


An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.