Skip to main content

Probation Violation?

Greenup, KY |

My stepson's mother is currently on probation/parole. She has been hanging out with another felon who is on probation as well. I am pretty sure this is a violation of both of their probation. We are going through a custody case and she is keeping the child with her while disregarding her probation terms. Should I contact the authorities or her probation officer? What would happen if I did?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In general, standard conditions of probation and parole require that there be "no association with a convicted felon". I do not know the conditions of the probationer/parolee in your county. Whether or not you contact her probation/parole officer is up to you. If you do so, the probation officer may or may not take action based on the facts you report. If it turns out that your assertions are correct, the probation officer can advise the court and or the prosecutor with the violation of the terms of the probation. If the individual is on parole, the parole officer has the discretion to request that a parole violators warrant be issued for the parolee.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


If you are in juvenile court for abuse/dependency/neglect and the child has been placed with your stepson's mother through the court or the Cabinet, if she is violated the child will be removed from her care as well. You should discuss this with your stepson's (or your) attorney as it relates to the custody case before making a decision. The attorney should know what the alternate placement is: stepson, you or father, grandmother or foster care.

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer