Probate timeline.

Allentown, PA |

My grandmother passed away , will admitted to probate 2 months ago. I'm a benificiary of estate. I live in another state . I spoke with executor a few months ago. I was wondering how often should I be notified, and do I have a right to know what's being done with her house and other assets by a certain time. Can I view an estate inventory by its due date? I'm new to all this. How do I know its being done right, he isn't using an attorney as of yet. What should I expect next. I know its early in the process. Thank all of you for taking time to answer our questions. M.B.

I would be worried as you are when an executor is not using an attorney. There is no one guiding him and looking over his shoulder. As a practical matter, you need to demand accountability and transparancy early on. Let him know that you want to be copied on major actions he is taking. As for the inventory, in PA it is not due until 9 months from the date of death. However, you may want to inquire at the register of wills as to how much he estimated the assets of the estate and request a copy of the will. In any event, prudence would dictate having an attorney to protect your interests and to let the executor know you mean business and that you are on this matter.

Hope this helps. Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net . For further tax advice visit his website at www.sjfpc.com . and blog at >

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.