Pro Bono federal appeals attorney for a criminal case?

Charlotte, NC |

I am not sure where else to get help on what to do next. My fiance is currently serving in a federal facility on a 22 year sentence. He has been filing his own appeals because the lawyer who represented him is a state attorney and hasn't offered him any advice. He has already done 8-9 years of this sentence. He has signed affidavits of perjury and also from co defendants admitting he did not have any involvement in the case. Is there any hope left? He was charged and sentenced in Georgia on a conspiracy drug case. Thank you all in advance.

Contact a local chapter of the Georga Bar Association Referral desk and seek further possibility of a pro bono counsel for that case.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Calvin T. Sun

Calvin T. Sun

Agree

It is very hard to see what kind of remedy he could possibly have at this point but he should contact the federal defender office in this district from which he was convicted if he has not already done so. As a rule, affidavits from prisoners purporting to exculpate other prisoners carry very little weight with a court and are generally not of any use.

I understand the affidavit part completely. I am going to call the Georgia Bar association referral desk tomorrow to find out what I can. We are only trying to get back into court because his lawyer failed to present an agreement to him and pushed him to go to trial. He received the agreement not signed by anyone in 2008 after being sentenced. He is working on filing a 2255but was told it was best to have a lawyer to submit the 2255.

Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

I wish him good luck. I would be very worried about the one-year statute of limitations for filing a Section 2255 petition. It is possible that under the circumstances of his case the statute has not run or has been tolled, but timeliness is certainly something that will have to be examined in this case. Yes, it is indeed best to have a lawyer prepare and file a 2255 petition, but where that is not possible he will have to do his best by himself and hope that the court will appoint counsel, which it can but need not do.

Calvin T. Sun

Calvin T. Sun

Agree

Suggest you contact local bar association for referrals. Or see if nearby law school offers a clinic.