Skip to main content

Primarily a civil rights law suit. I need to know how fees would work. A % of a settlement or attorney's fees?

Seattle, WA |

Elder Law, Harassment under The Landlord Tenant Act, Freedom of Expression (first amendment
violations are very clear. Management would claim my non-cooperation over a fumigation process.
However, I can establish that Management was subverting any agreement in order to continue to harass me. Also in December I was harassed about paying my rent when the bank had information
that SHA had never cashed the check. So the blame for any of this has always been heaped on me.
More recently I have become ill. The chemicals used to fumigate are increasing the severity of
my symptoms.

Adult Protective Services at DSHS will be conducting an investigation. I have given the investigator
stack of information.

I need to know how fees work. A % of settlement or the defendant pays?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on a number of circumstances. However, more often than not, in a good case, you have contingent fee. So a percentage of the case along with fees would come out of the settlement.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation and social security disability. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.


Fee arrangements vary from attorney to attorney. Certain statutes may provide for fee-shifting whereby a losing defendant has to pay the prevailing plaintiff's reasonable attorneys fees, but I am not a Washington attorney and express no opinion as to the various statutes you mention. Some attorneys may be willing to take on a case like this on a contingency basis. Other may want an hourly rate.


Prepare for a difficult challenge in finding skilled and experienced contingency counsel for a case built on these facts. Lots of reasons why most attorneys who practice in the civil rights field would not find this case a good bet. And when you ask an attorney to work first, for free, with the hope of payment only if the case is successful, you are asking that attorney to place a BET -- a bet on you, on the facts, the judge, the jury, and the facts not yet investigated and determined. It's a huge gamble with huge entry costs for the lawyer, and marginal cases do not often get bet on.

Sorry, but to offer you the service of candor, this will be a marginal case even if all that you contend is proven.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.