Power of attorney for Step Kids?

Canajoharie, NY |

Is it possible for me, the kids step mom, to be assigned power of attorney for the kids by their father who has Sole physical and legal custody over them?
Their Biological mother has not been in their lives for a few years and is in and out of jail. I have been in their lives acting as their mother for almost their whole lives. We have looked into adoption but she will not voluntarily sign off her parental rights and the fight would just be too expensive.
We were wondering if Power of Attorney would be the answer that way I could get them emergency care and deal with the legal school issues if my husband were unavailable.
We had heard of someone in a different state doing this but we didn't know if it was something we could do in NY or not.
Thank you for any and all responses.

Best Answer

A power of attorney will not work, nor will guardianship as the nother will have to agree to that as well. The only thing that you can try is a notarized letter from the father indicating that you have authority to make decisions in his absence. Then it would be up to whatever institution or individual to decide if they will allow you to make those decisions.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Oh, that is disappointing! Is there anything I can do to ensure that custody be with me in the event something were to happen to my husband?

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Unfortunately not. A natral parent has a superior right to custody over everyone else. Unless the mother wants to give you guardianship or custody there isn't much that can be done.

Although that's not what I wanted to hear that is what I assumed, thank you.

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

You are welcome.

A power of attorney will not get you what you want. A power of attorney will only give you authority to act on behalf of someone when it comes to assets and finances. What you want is a guardianship. You can have your husband simply sign a guardianship affidavit or give you authorization to act on their behalf with respect to school and medical issues. This is very easy to do and incredibly inexpensive. In fact, for physicians, your husband need sign an authorization that can be provided by the physicians office indicating that you are authorized to act on behalf of the children.

For a guardianship affidavit would we have to go to court? Would the biological mother have to be informed or agree?

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

No, it would be just an affidavit signed by your husband and no, she would not have to be informed, since your husband has sole custody.

Great thank you very much!

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

Your welcome. The school may have something you can use and the physicians is easy, they just need your husband to sign a HIPPA authorization and then you should be all set.