Skip to main content

Potential error on K-1 petition need advice!

Upper Marlboro, MD |

ok basically me and my fiance submitted our K-1 petiton and we just got approved like last week should be at the consulate soon in mexico. We had found out after we sent the package that her first name was spelled wrong on all documents by 1 letter. Yes i no weird but before we filed she got a new birth certificate and they misspelled her name. she never notcied then she went to get a passport which was also spelled wrong per the birth certificate then we got a consultant to do our k-1 petition and he spelled her name wrong from the stuff we gave him. Then we mailed it. we found out later that it was wrong. should this be a problem? i mean at the interview they will see that all forms and credentials match up. shoulnt be a prob right? will they know she use to spell her name differenty?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not a problem at all. They will make a correction at the interview.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.


I agree with my colleague. You should be able to change it at the interview. It will be a good idea to come to the interview with an affidavit to explain the mistake. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.


Minor errors can be corrected at the interview

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer